Here to Guide. Here to Help.
Admitted in Idaho and Washington
Licensed to practice before the Supreme Court of the State of Idaho, the Supreme Court of the State of Washington, the United States District Court for the District of Idaho and the United States Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Brian has a strong sense of fair play. This drives Brian and Associates to seek just resolutions through vigorous advocacy for his clients. Brian Donesley and Associates challenges overreaching, unfair or arbitrary action by public officials and private authority. Brian is assertive and intelligent, honest and straightforward. These traits have served Brian well over his 40 years of legal practice. Brian offers these qualities and invites your contact for further information or references.
- Stanford University, B.A
- University of Idaho, College of Law, J.D.
Brian’s Resume and Credentials
Private divorce attorney, Idaho.
Civil and administrative law cases before local, state and federal agencies and courts.
- Liquor law.
- Business, contract and real estate law.
- Employment law. Practice before federal, state, and local agencies for public and private clients, including union and private parties.
- Personal injury and torts cases.
- Domestic relations.
- Professional malpractice cases.
Alcohol beverage, beer, wine and liquor law. Effective and successful alcohol industry advisor in Idaho and other states. Retail, wholesale, manufacturer, winery licensing and representation. Wine Institute lobbyist.
Counsel for drug and alcohol treatment, rehabilitation and monitoring entities involving HIPAA, confidentiality, licensing, certification, corporate formation, non-profit affiliation and formation, and civil practice guidance, consultation and representation.
Counsel to licensed professionals before Idaho State Boards of Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy and Accounting, and the Federal Drug Enforcement Administration in criminal and administrative licensing and criminal matters.
Represent union members on behalf of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) and the National Association of Government Employees (NAGE), Retained by private employees and employers. Hearings and litigation before city, county and state agencies and officials and courts, state Departments of Health and Welfare, Idaho State Police, Transportation, Correction, Administration, Employment, Labor, Fish and Game, Military (National Guard), Lands, Liquor Dispensary, Occupational Licenses, Parks and Recreation, the Public Retirement Employee System, the State Insurance Fund, the State Tax Commission, Boise State University and Veterans Services.
Extensive experience before federal, state and local human rights agencies.
Former Attorney for Ada County Sheriffs Deputies Association, International Brotherhood of Police Officers, IBPO Local 486. Disciplinary hearings and negotiations with County Sheriff and County Commission.
Former Attorney for Boise Police Union, International Brotherhood of Police Officers, IBPO, Local 486. Disciplinary hearings, arbitration and collective labor negotiations with Boise City Mayor and City Council.
Governmental affairs and lobbying on behalf of various entities and industries with emphasis on alcoholic beverage law.
Authored and lobbied to successful passage Idaho Lottery, enacting and implementing statutes on behalf of “Idahoans for the Lottery.”
Founding member, Idaho State Bar Association Lawyers Assistance Program (LAP).
Former Senator, State of Idaho, District 16, Ada County.
- Judiciary and Rules Committee; Resources and Environment Committee; State Affairs Committee; Commerce and Labor Committee, ranking minority member.
Former Division Administrator, Alcohol Beverage Control Division, Idaho Department of Law Enforcement (Idaho State Police).
- Supervised and administered statewide alcohol beverage control duties relating to enforcement of statutes and rules, legislation, rulemaking, administrative hearings and dispositions statewide. Was responsible for administration of a division with five (5) regional offices and all staffing administrative requirements. Formulated and established policies for regulating the alcohol beverage industry in Idaho, including with respect to manufacturers, importers, distributors, wholesalers, liquor, beer and wine retail by the drink licensees.
Former Chief Counsel, Idaho Department of Law Enforcement (Idaho State Police).
- Personnel and employment law, civil rights defense (42 USC 1983), civil litigation and appeals in state and federal courts. Legislative liaison.
- Graduate, FBI Legal Advisors Academy.
- Special county prosecutor for fraud prosecutions, financial investigations and racketeering cases.
- Special assistant Idaho Attorney General for personnel, alcohol beverage licensing, and property forfeitures.
- Department of Law Enforcement (ISP) legislative officer. Authored and lobbied statutory proposals, including Racketeering Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), alcohol industry regulatory and licensing statutes and regulations, drug enforcement and drug forfeiture laws, highway and transportation statutes, horse racing regulations, Peace Officers Standards and Training Academy (POST) related laws, and comprehensive Idaho Public Records Act revision.
- Supervised gambling investigations, prosecutions and administrative sanctions.
- Statewide controlled substances drug forfeiture litigation in state and federal courts under the Uniform Control Substances Act.
- Advised and trained Idaho State Police, narcotics and investigative personnel, and others.
- Instructor, Police Officers Standards and Training and Idaho State Police Academy (POST).
Former Public Defender duties in Clearwater County, Idaho and private criminal and civil practice.
Native American and tribal law. Former General Counsel, Shoshone–Paiute Tribes of the Duck Valley Reservation. Developed tribal court process and rules of court. Shoshone-Paiute Tribes v. U.S.A., 889 F. Supp. 1297 (D. Idaho 1994). Inter-tribal and state and federal governmental affairs representation.